Jeep XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L Battery Cable Kits:
We sell two (2) different sets for XJ and ZJ Jeep vehicles.
I designed 40/30 kit for use on my personal 1997 ZJ. It should work for any XJ or ZJ where the negative cable grounds to the coil bracket. The 40/45 kit is almost the same except for older vehicles where negative connects to the engine in a different place.
A lug cover, 8 gauge 5/16 lug (for modifying the Jeep “Y” cable), a terminal for the starter solenoid, heat shrink, anti-corrosion bolts, and battery washers are included with purchase.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Some minor modifications may be needed.
- These cables have a straight starter lug instead of the molded starter/solenoid/cover combo. You will need to reroute the positive cable.
- You will also need to cut the solenoid wire and add a ring terminal to it (included in kit).
- If your Jeep is equipped with the negative “Y” cable, you will need to cut the cable and install a #8 terminal on it. (Click Y-Modification for details). An 8 gauge 5/16 lug for modifying the negative “Y” cable and a piece of heat shrink is also included in the kit.
- You may need to modify the cover to the fuse box to get it to close over the larger battery-to-fusebox wire. I do NOT recommend that you leave the cover off. You don’t want the mud and dirt getting in there.
- For more detailed instructions see our installation instructions page.
Jeep 1993-1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee and some late XJ Cherokee, 4.0L #147
Designed for 1993 - 1998 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) but may fit other models where negative grounds to engine at the coil bracket.
- Red 2 ga (or 1 ga if mil) starter cable with a 5/16 lug.
- 4 ga lead w/90 deg 5/16 lug for fuse box connection.
- Starter lug cover to protect against accidental short circuits during oil changes. Beware of cheap kits that do not include a cover.
- 30 inch 2 ga (or 1 ga if mil) black cable w 5/16 lug.
- 16 inch 6 ga lead for chassis ground.
The kit also includes:
- Installation kit (8 gauge lug for modifying the Jeep "Y" cable with heat shrink and a terminal for the starter solenoid).
- Anti-corrosion battery washers. Batteries leak acidic fumes around the post. Use these washers to help prevent corrosion.
- Tin plates corrosion resistant bolts (standard automotive top post only).
Options and Upgrades:
- Military terminals upgrade optional. See below. (Recommended if adding accessories like lights or winch).
- Battery terminal covers optional. See below. (Recommended. It's a safety item. Don't accidentally arch your wrench setting it on battery).
- Upgraded alternator cable optional. See below. (Use 16" 4 ga for an upgraded alternator. Probably not needed if using the stock alternator).
Cables in the standard kit will be built with die-cast copper battery terminals. Cables with the military terminal option will be built with plated heavy duty ring terminals and military battery terminals.
(Military option is shown in the drawing)
Build cables set using Military Style Terminals
- Using the military (or "universal adapter") style terminals allows you to add electrical accessories with ease. Great for adding a winch.
- Large cross bolt is 3/8".
- They also have the advantage of being able to replace just the terminals and not the entire cable.
- It must be purchased with a cable set.
- If you purchase this optional upgrade, the cable set will come with tin-plated heavy-duty 3/8" lugs and military-style terminals instead of standard battery terminals. 3/8" Nylock nut included.